Sunday, August 29, 2010

"Savvy Horse Transport"

I had a nice afternoon this afternoon.  I helped Anne move two of her young horses home to the mountains after their stay on the coast.

I have posted a blog previously about how I get so confused about my horsemanship goals.  I put so much time and effort into caring for my horses, and increasing my knowledge, and to what end?

Having a couple of hours in the car to ponder this afternoon, I thought maybe I should become a horse transporter!!!  I enjoy carting horses around.  Long drives don't worry me.  And after recently watching a few episodes of Parelli's "The Horsemans Apprentice", www.thehorsemansapprentice.com the thing that got me the most excited was the impressive horse trucks, goose necks and pick ups!!

Surely there is a market for personalised horse transport!

Pete and I already have a reputation for moving donkeys around here.  Some people contacted us once and asked if we could move a donkey for them.  After that the word got around and we had several requests to move donkeys.  It seems to be something that poses quite a challenge.

We went to one place to move two donkeys and the owners were amazed that we calmly had them on our stock trailer in next to no time.  Apparently the previous time they had to move them they had contacted a horse transporter who had come out with their truck, they couldn't get them on after several hours, so they went and got another truck or trailer of some sort.  After several more hours they still wouldn't budge, so in desperation, after spending the whole day trying to get two donkeys to go on a truck, they called on a neighbour with a tractor and they lifted them in with the front end loader!!!  So I understand why they were so surprised when, with a little Natural Donkeymanship, we were able to get the donkeys moved stress free!!

So maybe their is a niche there for me.  Teaching horses to load on floats is one of my favourite things.    How can I get this to work for me?

2 comments:

  1. this is a great idea Gen and I think there would be plently of people who would love to have their horses transported by someone as competent as you and you have always done an excellent job at moving my donkey's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Anne, your beautiful horses are certainly not donkeys!!!! Those horses travelled beautifully when we moved them last weekend. They were so calm and relaxed for such young horses, and were a credit to you. It is a pleasure getting to spend time with them, I am beginning to take a liking to Andalusians! Well, I always did like them, I am enjoying getting to spend time with them.

    ReplyDelete