Sunday, May 23, 2010

'Backhoe proof' pony!



There may be no such thing as a 'bomb proof' horse, but Fly is well on her way to being 'backhoe proof'.  It was de-sensitise Fly to machinery day on Saturday!

We had a really busy day planned, and it didn't look like I was going to get much horse play in for the weekend, so when Fly wandered up to the table when Pete and I were sitting outside having a coffee, I took that as volunteering, and brought her with me for the day!

We were chopping wood, and Pete was working on the backhoe, and Fly came along!  So it was noisy and busy, and there were a few of us so there was lots going on.  Chainsaws going, the backhoe roaring, axes splitting.  She was great!  She helped pump up a backhoe tyre, by sticking her head in the way, licking Pete's ears, and swiping snot all over the back of his jacket. 

Amongst all the noise I just continued getting her ready to ride, we did lateral flexion from the ground, throwing the rope over head head from zone 5 and asking her to come around to me, etc etc etc. So if we keep this up, she is going to be one un-flappable pony!!!

Fly has been playing a lot of put your nose on things, and there was one time when Pete drove past on the backhoe, and I asked Fly to go over and put her nose on the back bucket, as he was driving.  I thought that was a good touch it challenge!  Any way, she stuck to the backhoe and trotted all the way along the track right behind it until he got to the house, at least 200 metres!  I had her on the 22 foot rope, so I just stayed back and jogged along out of the way!  She is a 100% cow horse bred quarter horse, so I guess she will latch on to anything!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Gen! Enjoyed it. Keep it up! Ange

    ReplyDelete